Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Yack Attack: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

The Girl of Fire and Thorns
by Rae Carson
Published: September 20, 2011
Greenwillow
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one.

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will.

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.

Most of the chosen do.

Donna:So I have a severe issue with how Carson is brow-beating the issue of Elisa's weight down my throat. Is she supposed to be a 350 pound hypertensive teenager or is her self-perception so incredibly awful and she's really only 20 pounds heavier than your average twig? I liked the heavier set at the beginning but the girl is so incredibly downtrodden about her weight that I want to shake Carson and ask her WTF is wrong with her? Why is she doing this to her character? Is it some kind of Freudian projection? WHAT? But it's become such an overwhelming force in the story for me that it's hard to see anything else. And am I the only thing that thinks the God-given belly button lint is kind of...silly?

Sandy:I was going to ask how the reading was going for everyone but you beat me to it! I saw your post on tumblr about this and I knew going into this book that Elisa's weight was going to be something that the author kept referring to. Maybe my opinion will change later on but so far it doesn't bother me that Elisa keeps mentioning her weight. I just see it as another trait about her character and since she's a princess and princesses weren't expected to run around the palace or ride horses...yeah, she might be a little pudgy with all those sweets. I'm also wondering though if maybe Carson used Elisa's being fat as a way to contrast her with her sister Juana-Alodia. (btw I know the names have a kind of Spanish theme going on and that's fine but some names are just weird--I can't get over the prince's son being named Rosario. Guys can apparently have that name in Spanish but ew....just...no.)

Donna:I thought there was a Spanish hue to the words. Maybe Portuguese. But they still seem kind of smashy to me.

Sandy:The names are so old-fashioned. I only like the names Elisa and Hector :P

Melissa:Weight in books is a tricky issue. It seems, I think, that whenever an author wants to have a heavier-than-normal character, it becomes a Big Issue. But honestly: IRL, it IS a big issue. Especially at that age. I'm not rereading the book (shame on me, I know, but I have No Time. And I'm reading Dark Triumph instead.), but I did say this in my review of it: "Elisa with her eating issues and insecurities are quite hard to like. But, as the book goes on, she warms on you: it's truly a book about growth, about Elisa figuring out how to come into her own." I do have to admit, Donna, that I agree about the stone. It is quite weird. I didn't mind the names, though.

Sandy:Melissa, I can't blame you for not wanting to reread the book when you have The Dark Triumph with you.

Sya:Gar, I haven't started yet but this is usually the kind of thing that pisses me off.

Nicole:I haven't started yet -- it's my weekend project -- but isn't this set in a fantasy world? If it is, and the princesses are expected to be lazy and eat sweets and become fat, why is her weight an issue? (I haven't read yet, so I can't decide; I'm just curious.)

Sandy: Nicole, it's the way Elisa's weight keeps creeping back into focus throughout the story. Elisa is a comfort eater, she doesn't feel pretty and she compares herself to her sister a lot.

Sya:While I can see the author may be attempting to touch on important issues, it just sounds really irritating. Sandy's last comment makes it all sounds pretty unoriginal to the point where I'm not sure I can be arsed picking it up. Elisa sounds annoying.

Melissa: She IS annoying. AT FIRST. The POINT of the book (if I remember right... some help here Laura?) is Elise's growth arc. She's SUPPOSED to be annoying to the point of smacking her at first, but she's a different person by the end. And in the second book, she's really quite awesome.

Laura: I will comment on this. Let me collect my thoughts. I have them.

Sandy:Ahhh, Sya, don't let my comment stop you! Like Melissa says, Elisa is a little frustrating in the beginning because she lets herself be pushed around/talked out of things but she grows as a person as the story progresses. I also think the weight loss is a physical sign of her transformation as well because she doesn't hide behind her weight anymore. Also, being chubby is kind of related to childhood so maybe her shedding those pounds is also a representation of her internal growth... oh. looks like I had a lot more to say than I thought, hah.

Donna: I read that post that Carson did and quite frankly I think the only person that can't couldn't get past Elisa's weight was Carson. I found Elisa immediately likable aside from her I'M SO FAT NOM NOM NOM I'M SO UGLY NOM NOM NOM issue. I did not get that people looked at Elisa and thought she wouldn't amount to anything BECAUSE SHE WAS FAT. I figured they felt that way because, as I'm assuming how most people would think of princesses that don't really have much to do, is they're lazy and self-indulgent and can't be arsed to do much more than breathe and fuck for the good of the kingdom. The only reason the fat issue keeps popping up is because Carson keeps forcing it. She was in a particular mindset at the time she wrote the book, which is fine, but holy good mother of fuck give it a rest. I get it. Baby got back. Can we move the fuck on, PLEASE? I propose we turn it into a drinking came. Take a shot every time Elisa's weight is mentioned and the last one to survive the surefire alcohol poisoning wins.

Chachic: Oh hey, you guys are discussing this already! I haven't started reading. Will try to get to it this weekend.

Sya: I'm really struggling to get into this one. To be honest, I'm struggling to get into ANY book right now. Anyone got a cure for the dreaded reading fatigue?

Chachic: Okay, so I finally got to start the book and I just finished going through your comments. I didn't have a problem with the weight issue a couple of chapters into the story but yeah, you guys are right, Elisa keeps coming back to that. I mean, I'm not skinny either but I don't focus on my weight EVERY SINGLE TIME I eat. It does get a little frustrating. That's the only problem that I have so far. I don't mind the names, I like how they have a Spanish flavor because it reminds me of some Filipino names. Also, is it just me or is their religion somewhat based on Catholicism? The service reminded me of a Catholic mass, especially with rose - kind of like the Catholic Eucharist.

Nicole: I started reading the book and I thought, "hey, maybe we're picking up on something that might be subtle, that the author doesn't realize" but nope. You could literally replace chapters one through three with, "I'm a fat princess with a hot, kind husband and a Godstone in my (fat) belly (of sausage fatness) ... (fat)."

Melissa: Okay, it kind of makes me sad that all we're getting from this book is that Carson is obsessing about Elisa's weight. It also worries me that none of this bothered me when I read it.

Nicole: I'm liking the book outside of that -- I'm curious about the world and the Godstone -- but it's really hitting us over the head with it.

Sandy: Chachic, the religious theme throughout the book had me curious too. I found a review where the reviewer mentions something about it. I'm not sure if this reviewer is 100% right but like they said, it seems that Carson used Judeo-Christian elements.

Sandy: I also read somewhere that the Spanish influence was because she was working with Spanish-speaking coworkers at the time. I think it was on an interview on EW. And I feel like the odd man out on this but her referring to her weight still doesn't bother me or detract from the reading experience for me... although I wonder if I might be bias because I've always been kind of chubby ;P

Donna: I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here . . . ELISA HAS A MAGICAL BELLY BUTTON. Are we good? Again? ELISA HAS A MAGICAL BELLY BUTTON. Is this getting more and more FUCKING STUPID to anyone else that she keeps STICKING HER FUCKING FINGER IN HER NAVEL EVERY TIME SHE NEEDS SUPPORT FROM GOD? Elisa has BLESSED BELLY BUTTON LINT. The fuck....

Donna: And the weight issue doesn't go away. Even when Elisa tones up a bit she still makes an effort to note her excessive flapping skin just waiting to be refilled with fat. That's a paraphrase. I kid you not. EVERY. GODDAMN. CHAPTER. This can't be a drinking game because EVERYONE WOULD DIE.

Nicole: Donna, do you want me to start marking every time she mentions that she's fat or that she touches her stomach? I'm only four chapters in; it won't be hard to do.

Donna: Yes! We need to have a fat count! I bet it's up there with granite and russet and CHAGRIN in TWILIGHT. It bet it blows them away. The first handful of chapters are nothing but fat barf. We'd all be deliriously drunk by the first quarter of the book.

Nicole: I'll go back and mark them up. This'll be fun.

Sya: I can't get past the first chapter... I started a new book instead (The 5th Wave, very good). I am a bad YAcker. Or this is a bad book.

Chachic: Sandy, thanks for the link to that review! I feel like the weight becomes less of an issue in the latter half of the story? It doesn't bother me as much now. I'm about 70% into the novel and just think it's okay so far. I've seen mixed reviews for this so I'm not surprised. I keep hearing that the second book is so much better though.

Donna and Nicole, LOL good idea about counting those instances. :P

Sya, sorry to hear that you don't feel like reading this one! I think I've seen tweets about The 5th Wave, I should probably look up the premise for that.

Melissa: *throws in towel* Well I liked it. *sits in corner*

Donna: Laura needs to add her words. And yes, the weight issue lessens as the book goes on, from multiple times a page to probably once a chapter and more subtle. But even once I could wade through the FAT I'm not thrilled with the plot. It's okay but I'm not really invested in it. Although kudos to Carson for offing an integral character. Hooray for death!

Sandy: Chachic, you're welcome. I was curious about the religious aspect too because I was like, "this is very detailed and intricate...but is it really all made up??" I'm also waiting for Laura's words. o.o

Sandy: YES, I was actually upset when Important Character dies. Rae Carson has said she's not afraid  to kill people, and man she wasn't kidding!

Donna: That's what I like in my authors: the ability to murder their loved ones. FALLING KINGDOMS was the same way but alas, character death couldn't save that one either. Granted GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS has a lot more going for it: it's better written, more interesting characters, a nicer, more detailed landscape although I do contest some of those details as they're rather inconsistent for a desert (a REAL desert, not a movie's interpretation of a desert). GoFaT is much more grounded and focused and while I like the concept of the Godstones (and the notion of the Inviernes harvesting them makes me throw up in my mouth) putting them in a person's belly button is just silly for me. I can't get past it. A navel with magical abilities. No... Did anyone other than Melissa like it so she's not alone in a corner without a towel? One should never be without a towel...

Sandy: I'm with Melissa! I enjoyed it, and I liked Elissa's journey in this one. I finished the book and I won't do spoilers but I like where she is by the end. (I'm not just saying that because I picked the book, hah.)

Nicole: I just got to chapter twelve; I'm liking what I've read so far -- I like girls who have to learn to navigate political fields, and I like how she's handling it.

On the other hand, the Godstone's location IS silly; and since I started it knowing the mentions of fat, I just... GAH. I want to strangle her over it. Just accept it and do your job already.

Here's the tallies of chapter 1 - 11. This ONLY includes outright comments about her weight (I'm fat, a sausage, etc.) This DOES NOT include references to her eating, her overeating, or "painting a portrait" (mentioning another character's skinniness) - all of those things which are done at least once per chapter.

Chapter One: 4
Chapter Two: 1
Chapter Three: 2
Chapter Four: 0
Chapter Five: 2
Chapter Six: 1
Chapter Seven: 1
Chapter Eight: 2
Chapter Nine: 1
Chapter Ten: 2
Chapter Eleven: 2

Sandy: ^I agree. I like how she's already attuned to the politics and that she can be decisive in that area when she's so uncertain about everything else. As for the Godstone's location... I didn't think its location was silly only because where else could the stone be? there are other areas of the body but those would just be awkward. o_O But now that I'm thinking about it, when a baby is born the umbilical cord is there so how did the stone.....oh whatever, I'm thinking about it too much

Nicole: Her Godstone appeared at her 'baptism,' so to speak, her naming ceremony -- she was a few months old.

Heidi:I am a slacker! I'm just starting this now...will be back to pat everyone on the back for their insightful thoughts in a couple of days (or you know, pick sides and battle to the death, whatever happens).

Sya: GoFaT. Ha ha ha ha ha! It's everywhere! Ahem. I'll leave now. *slinks away sniggering*

Melissa: Oh, yay, Sandy! ! I'm glad I'm not alone in the corner. And I can't believe I forgot my towel. Thank you, Donna. I never minded her fat references -- though, you're right, Donna and Nicole, they are many -- but rather enjoyed her growth arc. While she started out as a whiny brat, she was a strong character (though I never pictured her as beautiful, just capable) near the end. I kind of liked how religious it was; it's not often that a book has a decent religion that mostly makes sense (I'll concede: divine belly button lint is silly). I didn't mind the death, either. I wasn't overly fond of that character. And, I have to admit that my view of the first book was colored by The Crown of Embers, which I *really* liked.

Chachic: Got to the part where someone dies! I knew it, I had a feeling it would be that person. I don't mind the Godstone's location. I guess I'm just not as invested in Eliza as I'd like to be. That's probably why I'm not enjoying the book as much as I was expecting. Not even sure if I'll read the sequel after this.

Chachic: Hey, we haven't heard from Holly either.

Holly: I know I'm really late to the joke, but Go. Fat. Hahahaha. I just noticed it. :) To be honest, I've skimmed a lot of the comments. I read this last year and should've DNFed. There was no chance in hell that I was going to reread it for you guys (unless you want more GoFaT bashing after this?) The weight thing didn't bother me but Carson definitely beat it into the ground. The belly button jewel is silly but when I read it I was mostly just so embarrassed for Elisa because she had this sacred jewel inside her sausage roll of a belly. I was too busy not connecting with Elisa - and worse not caring for a single one of the flat secondary characters. I longed for Elissa to have some meaningful relationship before moving on from the marriage to the desert to where ever else she goes in the last part of the book. I agree that Elisa's transformation is great character development and I enjoyed some of the religious overtones but alas, this is another book that was not for me. I kept wishing she'd have stayed in the palace with her new husband and that a slow simmering romance would've developed between them by the end of the book. Instead we get to rush around with her from setting to setting, watching old and new characters usher in and out of her life. I definitely didn't care for the tacked on, underdeveloped romance with a ho hum male character either. So tell me Melissa, do I read TCoE after feeling this way? I was not planning on it.

Chachic: Oh yes, I'm not a fan of the romance in this one, either. It felt half-baked and wasn't developed very well. GoFat is a hilarious acronym for the book, with all its references to Elisa's weight issues. I'm not in love with the story but I don't hate it either. Like Holly said, this book is just not for me.

Sandy: lmao, GoFat. xDDD

Sya: Thank God you all found it funny... I was starting to feel like the naughty kid in class.

Donna: OMG GoFaT. OMG I love it! And I really love how Carson likes to kill characters. It makes me all warm and fuzzy on my insides. Nicole, those numbers would be much heavier if you included ALL GoFaT references. Heavily, heavily weighted. Har. I liked where the story went in the end but high holy hell did it take forever to get there. Like Holly I didn't really connect with anyone and I did like the religious references. Carson wasn't afraid to keep it religious and I liked that (for how unreligious I am). But the Godstone...so at her baptismal the Gallstone of God forced its way out of her body through her healing naval? That sounds horribly painful. Or was it more like POOF. Magic belly button. And I'm sorry...SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER at the end, when she connected that thing to her stomach and it started spinning I got the most ridiculous image in my head. I just can't do it. I can't take it seriously when her damn belly button spins like a cap with a propeller on it. Just...no.

Sandy: The belly button propeller thing was rather hilarious, I must admit. You know, I liked the secondary characters but I mostly connected with Elisa. Her character really carried the weight of the story (no pun intended).

Sandy: Melissa, I'm glad you liked the book! I was beginning to feel bad because no one was enjoying it as much as I was.

Sandy: As for the romance in this novel, I thought it was okay but nothing amazing...I was sad for what happened to that character, but I think he was just part of the process for Elisa to change. (plus there had to be room for the awesome bodyguard--I see possibilities there!)

Melissa: Oh, Sandy, there is. :D

Chachic: I finished reading the book and just had to laugh at what Donna said about the belly button propeller. I couldn't imagine it either. When I got to that part, I was like "huh?" I can see why other readers enjoyed reading this, it's very easy to get into, has good worldbuilding and interesting characters. Sadly, I just wasn't able to connect with any of them enough to be emotionally involved in the story.

Chachic: I had a feeling the romance in the second book would be about that guy that Sandy mentioned!

Sya: Despite my earlier declaration of defeat, I have been battling away with this book but now officially give up at about the half way mark. I basically agree with everything that Holly said. I can't connect with Elisa, I hate the fat references (because they feel clunky and are completely overdone) and the belly button thing actually makes me feel slightly queasy. Life is too short for me to finish this book.

Donna: GUYS. I know what Elisa's godly service is! It's so perfect! Carson is a genius! Wait for it...CAREBEAR STARE!!!


Heidi: Hahaha, Go Fat! I laughed so hard that DH demanding an explanation for my gaiety. Okay, so I finally finished this yesterday, and I'm in the corner with Sandy and Melissa, and my own Care Bear towel, because I really (for the most part) enjoyed this one. I think because the weight thing was so emphasized for me prior to reading, it honestly didn't bother me at all. Her fixation on it made sense to me, because being a teen and overweight SUCKS, and it is constantly on your mind (I gained at least 50 pounds at 16, it was miserable), and I would think especially for someone like a princess who will constantly be judged on her appearance. I can totes see how this annoys people though. I really liked Elisa from the get go, and loved that she was willing to take action and make decisions (unlike Alejandro), even though her confidence was initially lacking. I also really loved all of the religion, I thought it was really beautifully developed and worked to show a lot about faith and people's interpretation of God's will.

Things I didn't like: OMG the pinwheel was just cheesy, as were the last two 'let's talk about the message of this book' pages, but the God-given belly button didn't actually bother me before that. Like Donna, I love an author who will kill people off, but by the end I kind of felt like this was Carson's way of solving problems for herself when she'd written herself into a corner. I say this because I know which way the romance is going in future books, and I'm disappointed that this was Carson's way of making that happen.

Laura: Go Fat. I just sorta died because it's just so fitting. I'm pressed for time (as I have been for weeks) so I'm going to state my opinion with VERY LITTLE FACT TO SUPPORT IT. So ok, I liked the pretty world. I loved the magic, the sorta Spanish flare, all that royalty, wizards and I even got caught up in the god-stuff. That last part was a surprise but there was NO RELIGIOUS AGENDA in all that RELIGION, it was just simply part of the story and it was kinda cool and it worked. So lots of pluses there. Also, the bad guys were shaping up to be kind of bad ass. Nifty how they were using tools of someone else's religion against them. I couldn't picture Elisa's husband as ANYONE but Prince Humperdinck from The Princess Bride. He was like, sweaty-limp-palm oogie and I thank my stars that THE MARRIED PRINCESS STAYED ALL VIRGINAL AND SHIT (as if....really....as if) because I really didn't want him taking his clothes off. On to Elisa- she's a horrible, boring, pointless, pathetic character. Yes Melissa, I'm with you on the world and the fact that the story WAS to show Elisa's change but GOOD GOD DAMN, why can't a main character just be likeable for more than ten percent of the story? And that's being generous because Elisa merely went from repulsive to boring. All that self-loathing and self-pity....I secretly wanted the spy girl to kill her (yeah, I've forgotten all names at this point). There wasn't anyone to root for in this story (ok so maybe the guard captain and the assassin nurse maid). And was that a romance? Are you sure because THE CHARACTERS FELT NOTHING AND THEREFORE I FELT NOTHING. Aside from wanting to bitch-smack the cake out of Elisa's face and watch the chewed, mushy, bits go flying out of her mouth (it was beat to death, dear fucking Book Lords in Heaven it was BEAT TO DEATH), my main issue was that Carson simply SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS at characters. They all sucked. All of them. It was an entire cast of SUCK. She did build a very pretty world, rich with detail, history, imagination and magic and I enjoyed reading because I LOVED where I was- just not who I was with. It had soooooo much potential as a fantasy novel. Why not leave it at that? Why not write a great fantasy story and let your readers escape to this marvelous place of the author's imagination and mix and mingle with unique people that, if they didn't enhance your world, didn't kill it either? WHY, WHY, WHY try to make this an "issue" book? It needs to be labeled as such to protect the innocent fantasy reader.

Laura: And the stomach stone......NO....just NO. I kept screaming at it, "YOU ARE NOT HYGIENIC!"

Laura: But looking back (and this is it) I'd say over all, even with the issues (oh so many of them) I generally LIKED the story. Granted....I also LIKE the House of Night series. So....there ya go.

Janice: I'm 100 pages from the end. So I can't stand Elisa's lack of self-confidence at the beginning of this book but I think her poor self image is part of her character arc. We get browbeaten by her comparisons with her sister and the constant comments about what she thinks other people are thinking of her, but with the exception of that little boy, I can't tell if she's REALLY that big or if it's all in her head. I think she may be overweight but not really in the way she perceives it. I thought maybe that the idea of having someone insecure and overweight was a different thing and maybe not a bad idea, perhaps refreshing even, but I think I'd be happier if she accepted herself first before she loses the weight from her adventuring. That said, I can't fault the book for having Elisa constantly go on about her weight because this could be realistically part of someone's character. Maybe Elisa has an eating disorder - she definitely does eat to fill a void, and eats until she feels physically ill. Also she is treated like a child by a lot of people and kept ignorant about her own life and doesn't feel in control - and eating disorders are often very much about fighting for control. I have mixed emotions about how Elisa's discomfort with her body is conveyed, but I think it could be worse. For instance I will always and forever hate Bridget Jones' Diary for saying she weighs 120lbs and needs to go on a diet. This messed with my mind. How TALL IS SHE? NEVER MENTIONED. If that's not something that could make a female reader feel like crap, I don't know what is.

Janice: Oh so can we talk about the romance some more? I want to know: am I the only one who ships Elisa with Hector? Her husband: fickle and weak despite being pretty and nice, and the other guy: nice enough but not much personality. But Hector is all quiet and broody with flashes of cute when he smiles and lets his guard down. No? Am I the only one who thinks this?

Nicole: I ship Elisa with nobody because I want her to realize her self-worth and kick ass and become queen in her own right because she's a strong independent Godspoken who don't need no man.

Sya: I second Nicole.

Laura:Yes. What Nicole said.

Janice: I kind of get what you're saying - she doesn't need to end up with anybody, and I agree, but don't think self-worth and kicking ass should have anything to do with if she's in a relationship or not. If you're saying she should be comfortable with herself and be OK with going it alone, yeah, so true. But I don't necessarily think "no man" has to be the way to prove this.

Nicole: I'm of the belief that one shouldn't enter into a relationship feeling inferior to the other person; if she hates herself, she's always going to doubt that. So be strong and single and awesome for a while.

Melissa: I adored Hector. Enough said. Read the second book, Janice.

Heidi: I think that going into book 2, Elisa has begun to come into her own and acknowledge herself a strong and competent individual that will open her up for a healthy non-dependent relationship. I knew Hector's name going in, so I just assumed that's the way the romance was going (though PLEASE DEAR GOD TELL ME HE LOSES THE MUSTACHE), but I LOVE that Carson didn't even touch on going there in book 1, because Elisa did have so much growing to do first. I loved how she no longer craved Alejandro's affection and attention by the end, and really stood on her own. Also, I think the fact that Humberto harbored affection for her that she knew wasn't based on her physical person was a big boost for her confidence-wise. I don't think book 1 Elisa could have a healthy relationship, I think book 2 Elisa probably can.

Donna: I was a fan of Hector. I'll say that. And based on later descriptions of Elisa she's not just a little fluffy. There was mention of her having to lift up her stomach in order to see the Godstone, which leaves me to believe it's big enough to roll over. That kind of helped position her size in my head and put it into context more. Regardless of height that's a hefty amount of weight.

Sandy: LOL Heidi, I thought the same thing about the mustache! That made me remember something else I wanted to touch upon: I really liked Elisa's interactions with Rosario, especially when they meet for the first time he basically embarrasses her in front of oh, say, the majority of the kingdom. xD

Sandy: PS--I am glad I chose this book. *looks at comments count* So much discussion...

Heidi: I loved her with Rosario too! I was shocked that she apparently "had no idea what to do with kids" because she was much better with him than pretty much everyone in the palace.

Sandy:Better than the maid, and definitely better than his own father. I am looking forward to seeing them in the sequel.

Heidi: Oh! We have not cast RA. Just sayin' necessities before we YAck off.

Sya: Heidi, you are a true YAcker.

Nicole: Wouldn't he be her husband? He is supposed to be an older, very attractive man, after all. (Also, we're wrapping up and I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED and I feel guilty. But it's not due to lack of interest. Stupid essays demanding to be written.)

Laura: RA will NOT play her husband!! NO NO NO.

Nicole:I can't imagine anybody else suiting him, though, unless he's her father?

Sya: But who else???

Melissa: We age Elisa up and he plays HECTOR. Of course.

Sya: Melissa, you win.

Chachic: Yep, I agree. RA can be Hector.

1 comment:

  1. This was pretty hilarious! But I'm in the minority with this book: I didn't like it at all. Actually, I didn't even finish it. While I can get that Elisa does change, I really disliked having to read more than half of the book to get to it! I loved the religious themes, I didn't like the names, and Elisa pretty much annoyed me so much I almost threw the book across the room. But I'm willing to give this one another go because I was very much interested in the world Carson created! (as an aside, RA shouldn't be Hector ;). Of course I disliked Hector and I love RA so that might be it!)

    ReplyDelete